Preparation Time: 30 minutes
For the popcorn balls:
1. Pop the popcorn in one tablespoon oil and set aside in a large bowl.
2. In a 4 quart heavy bottom kettle, combine the sugar, water, molasses, butter, salt and vinegar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until the mixture begins to boil. Continue to boil until the temperature reaches 235 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
3. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and baking soda. Stir to combine until the mixture is lighter in color and foamy.
4. Pour over prepared popcorn.
5. Stir until all the popcorn is coated in the caramel mixture. Allow to cool slightly and become sticky, 3-5 minutes.
6. With well-oiled hands, create balls approximately 3 inches in diameter. If the balls are not sticking together, allow popcorn additional time to cool.
7. Adhere the candy corn with royal icing.
For the optional decorations:
1. Whisk the egg white until foamy. Add sugar and whisk until smooth and thick.
2. Use a drop of frosting where candy corn pieces are desired. Place candy and allow it to dry before moving on.
3. Repeat with candy eyes. The icing holds best if it is thick and is allowed ample time to dry with each piece of candy.